History of Our Farm
Cotton Hills Farm has operated continuously since 1882 when the original 100 acre Homeplace was given to Theodosia Abell Wilson as a wedding present. Cotton, small grains, and corn were some of the farm's original staple crops.
Just like the early days of the farm, cotton is still an important crop to us. The size of the farm has grown a lot since 1882. Each year, several hundred acres of cotton are planted and harvested. Today, we also grow a wide variety of fruits and vegetables ranging from strawberries to peaches to pumpkins.
We opened our farm retail stand, The Market, in 2002 as a way to make our homegrown produce accessible to the community. In 2007, Cotton Hills Farm was placed in a conservation easement, which will play an important role in keeping it a farm forever. Our wholesale building located at the corner of Wilson Road and US 321 was completed in 2010. This building is a GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) certified facility used for preparing our produce to be sold both wholesale and retail. During the winter months, this building is where our wooden peach baskets have been made since we started production in 2011. We have continued to expand our retail markets in recent years with the opening of The Chester Market, and The Richburg Market.